The few reasons that you may want to download and install old versions of Mac OS X or macOS are:
- If you rely on the software that you have discovered does not work properly in the newest version.
- If you are a developer and you need to run multiple versions of Mac OS X so that you ensure that your software runs correctly on them.
- You may find that after the latest update your computer runs slower, your apps do not function or that the programs you need to run are not yet compatible with the upgrade.
- You may also want to get the installer for a version of macOS in order to make a bootable installer for installing macOS on multiple Macs.
So, this blog will cover how to download old Mac OS X and macOS versions:
Prepare your Mac first
If you want to downgrade your operating system, you need to check with what version of OS X you already have and ensure that you have enough hard drive space to download the older version. You need around eight gigabytes free depending on which macOS you downgrade to. Follow the below steps:
- You need to click the apple in the top left corner of your desktop.
- Then selecting About This Mac that allows you to see what OS X version you are currently running.
- Then tab over to Storage that allow you to check how much disk space you have available.
Download the OS X you want
When you have space on your computer then figure out what version of OS X you want to install. You can see all previous versions of OS X that your Mac has installed by opening up the App Store and clicking the icon in Applications. You need to tab to the purchase page of the menu and scroll down to find the line for previous operating systems and then click the install button of the macOS you want, will begin downloading the file.
Read More: Top 9 Free Antivirus Apps for Windows Phone
Download the Mojave installer
It is necessary that you have a copy of the Mojave installer before installing Catalina because getting the older version of a macOS is much harder than it was in the past. You can still download the installer from the Mac App Store, so follow the below steps:
- You need to open the Mac App Store.
- Then search for Mojave and click on get.
- Then the software Update will open with the message Are you sure you want to download macOS Mojave 10.14.6.
- Once the installer has downloaded, do not click Install because if you install it, the installer will automatically be deleted.
- You will be able to find the Install macOS Mojave app in your Applications folder.
Download High Sierra installer
It is not possible to download old versions of macOS in Mojave but the only way to get an older installer is to download it before you update your Mac or find a Mac that runs an older version of the macOS. You need to log into the Mac App Store with your password and download High Sierra’s installer. When the installer has downloaded do not install it because if you install it then the installer will be deleted but you will find the installer in your Applications folder.
Read More: Top Methods to Read PDF out Loud on iPhone
Download older Mac OS X from Mac App Store
It works for Mavericks, El Capitan, Yosemite, as well as Mountain Lion and Lion and only works if you have downloaded it in the past and it is not working if you have already installed Mojave. Follow the below steps to get an older version of Mac OS X from the Mac App Store:
- You need to open the Mac App Store and login if required.
- Then click Purchased.
- Then scroll down to find the copy of OS X or macOS you want then click Install.
- If you click Install, it does not actually install the software but it will download the installer application to your Applications folder.
Therefore, you will easily download old Mac OS X and macOS versions from this article.