Most Apple users face the problem that they are unable to delete apps on the iPhone. This issue occurs if you recently restored your iPhone or if you update all apps at a time or face issues with faulty apps or encounter errors in restoring from backup.
- 1 Unable to delete/remove Apps from my iPhone
Unable to delete/remove Apps from my iPhone
This article guides you to solve this issue. Here are the methods to fix this issue:
Sometimes you want to delete an icon from the home screen of your iPhone but cannot delete it after various trials. If you may not able to view the “X” on the home screen, you can restart your iPhone. This can fix the problem. Follow the below-given steps to hard reset according to the device you own:
- iPhone 6 and Previous Model users: You need to press the Power button along with the Home button for approximately 10 seconds. Then release the buttons when the Apple logo displays on the screen.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus users: You need to press Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Then release the buttons when you view the Apple logo on the screen.
- iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus users: You need to press the Volume Up tab and release it and then push down the Volume Down tab and release it. Then hold and press the Side tab when you view the Apple logo on the screen.
Enable Restrictions for Deleting Apps
When you update your device to iOS 11, there are some changes in the settings. If you are not able to delete apps on your iPhone, the restrictions for deleting apps are disabled. You need to enable them. Follow the below steps to enable restrictions for deleting apps:
- You need to open the Settings then click on General and then select Restrictions.
- You need to type in the password that set for restrictions.
- Then search the Deleting Apps and slide it to On so that it is enabled
- When it is done, you need to go back to the home screen of your iPhone and check if the problem resolves.
The 3D Touch feature is set in iPhone 6S and later devices.
- If you press the app for less than two seconds, the 3D Touch menu activates instead of the X.
- It is necessary that you gently press and hold the app for more than two seconds if you want to delete it.
- Then you can view the X on the screen that enables you to delete the app.
Remove Waiting apps that stuck on installation
Sometimes, when you load, install or if waiting to install apps, your iPhone may get stuck. There is a blank, grayed out the icon on these apps and you not able to delete them. But you can remove waiting apps that stuck on installation with the following instructions:
- You need to sign out of the App Store and then sign in. Then open the Settings then iTunes & App Store then click your Apple ID and then log out. When you log out, go to the App Store and sign in with your Apple ID through the app. You need to check if the problem resolves.
- You can also try another method. You need to stay signed into the App Store and manually find for the app which is not installing. When you get that app, if you view Open, Get, or Install next to it, you need to click that and check if the installation resumes.
- If the issue occurs by unstable network connection, you need to open the Settings then click on WLAN to connect to a stable Wi-Fi again. You can also click Cellular if you want to use cellular data.
- If the issue occurs by lacking storage, you need to open the Settings then click on General and then click on iPhone Storage to check the free space. If the storage does not have free space, free up more space by deleting apps on your iPhone.
Reset All Settings
Sometimes resetting everything may assist you to fix the issue of apps stuck on waiting. This method resets all settings and does not delete any data or media. Follow the below-given steps:
- You need to go to the Settings app and then click on General.
- Then scroll down and click on Reset to Reset All Settings.
Complete iTunes Sync
- If you sync apps earlier then the apps that you installed on your iPhone must also be on iTunes.
- You need to delete the app in iTunes, re-sync with iPhone so that the app gets deleted from iPhone as well.
- Then you can install the app again through your iPhone.
Delete apps using Settings
If all the above-mentioned methods do not work and unable to delete apps on your iPhone, you can try to delete the apps by using iDevice’s Storage Settings. Follow the below-given steps:
- You need to open the Settings.
- Then click on the General tab and then click on iPhone Storage.
- Then you can view the list of your apps at the bottom of the screen.
- Then you need to search the app you unable to delete on the Home screen and then click on it.
- Then the Delete App button appears on the app-specific screen.
- You need to click on it and confirm the deletion in the pop-up window.
In iOS 11, you can also find an option to offload an app.
- Above the app list is a setting known as Offload Unused Apps.
- This setting deletes apps that you do not use when you need the storage but conserve all its documents and data.
- When you reinstall the app, all your data and documents sync back as you never deleted the app in the first place.
- You can also go to this setting in iOS 11 through Settings and then click on iTunes & App Stores.
You can easily delete apps on your iPhone with the above-mentioned methods. All methods are easy to perform and help you to fix the issue of unable to delete apps on the iPhone.