iMessage on Mac: iMessage is one of the popular instant messaging services which is Apple’s secure messaging service. It enables users to send text and multimedia over the Internet to other iOS or mac OS users. iMessage is an alternative to traditional SMS messages. It provides seamless synchronization between devices as well as the option to send messages through the user’s mobile data connection instead of through SMS.
- 1 How to Get iMessage on Mac
- 1.1 Set up iMessage on Mac
- 1.2 Follow the below steps to set up iMessage on Your Mac:
- 1.3 Start a Conversation in Messages App on Mac
- 1.4 Add a Tapback to an iMessage on Mac
- 1.5 Add Phone Number to iMessage on Mac
- 1.6 How to Sync Text Messages from iPhone to Mac
- 1.7 Enable Do Not Disturb for iMessage Conversation on Mac
- 1.8 Delete an iMessage Conversation on Mac
How to Get iMessage on Mac
iMessage is very easy to set up and use. You can send unlimited messages to any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that uses iMessage with Messages for Mac. iPhone users can use it for SMS too.
Set up iMessage on Mac
When you first launch iMessage, it asks you to sign in with your Apple ID and password. You can also use the same Apple ID that you use for iCloud, iTunes, App Store, and your Mac account to connect iMessage to Mac. iMessage also provides you the option to add a third-party messaging service that includes Google, Yahoo, and AOL accounts. You need to select Add Account from the Message menu and choose an account provider that you are registered with to add a third-party service in iMessage.
Follow the below steps to set up iMessage on Your Mac:
- You need to launch a Messages app on your Mac and sign in using your Apple ID and password.
- Then click on Messages in the Menu bar and choose Preferences.
- You need to click the Accounts tab.
- Then choose the phone number and email addresses you want to be reached at.
- When you have signed in, you can start chatting with your friends.
Read also: How to force a message to be sent as SMS (and not iMessage) on iPhone or iPad
Start a Conversation in Messages App on Mac
- You need to open the Messages app.
- Then type in the message in the field at the bottom of the window.
- You need to click on the emoji button if you want to include emoji and can select a cool one.
- You need to drag or paste an image or file into the message field if you want to include an image or another file.
- When you are done, you need to click the return button to send the message.
Add a Tapback to an iMessage on Mac
- You need to open the Messages app and open a conversation.
- Then you need to control-click a message bubble to open a shortcut menu and select Tapback from the menu.
- Then choose Tapback to add it to the message bubble in Mac Messages App.
Add Phone Number to iMessage on Mac
How to Sync Text Messages from iPhone to Mac
If you want to send and receive iMessages from your phone number on your Mac computer, follow the below steps:
- You need to take your iPhone and go to the Settings app and Messages and ensure that iMessage is on.
- Then go to Send & Receive.
- You need to sign in with the same Apple ID that you have used when setting up iMessage on Mac.
- Then go to the ‘You can be reached’ section and ensure that there are checkmarks beside your phone number and Apple ID.
- Then open iMessage on your Mac computer and go to Messages, then Preferences.
- Then click on Accounts and select your iMessage account.
- Then turn on your phone number by selecting your Apple ID and click on the checkbox next to your phone number.
- Then choose your phone number to be your primary identifier by selecting it from the Start new conversations from the pop-up menu.
Enable Do Not Disturb for iMessage Conversation on Mac
- You need to open the Messages app on your Mac and go to the conversation in question.
- Then click on Details at the top right corner and then check the box for Do Not Disturb.
Delete an iMessage Conversation on Mac
- You need to open the Messages app on your Mac and then control-click a conversation.
- Then select Delete Conversation and confirm.
From the above-mentioned ways, you can easily set up iMessages on your Mac. All the ways are very easy, you just need to follow the steps carefully.