Touch ID is one of a great way of securing your iPhone or authenticating your identity. Touch ID enables you to unlock your iPhone rather than entering the passcode. If Touch ID is not working on your iPhone, you cannot use your fingerprint to enter into your device.
- 1 iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus Touch ID Not Working? Here is a Fix
- 2 Keep Your Finger Clean
- 3 Check – Screen Guard or Case does not Cover the Touch ID Button
- 4 Place Complete Fingers on Home Button
- 5 Delete And Re-register Your Touch ID Fingerprints on iPhone
- 6 Check if the Touch ID feature enables
- 7 Reboot your iPhone 8 Plus
- 8 Reset all settings on your iPhone 8 Plus
- 9 Factory reset your iPhone 8 Plus
- 10 Restore your iPhone 8 Plus in iTunes
- 11 If You Cannot Activate Touch ID
iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus Touch ID Not Working? Here is a Fix
You cannot even scan your fingerprint to make any purchases through the App Store. Here are the methods to fix the issue if Touch ID is not working on iPhone 8 plus:
Keep Your Finger Clean
- It is necessary that your finger and the fingerprint reader should be dry and clean.
- It is better if you can utilize a lint-free cloth to clean your device.
- Sometimes, if there is a bit of water or sweat on your finger, it cannot make your iPhone read your fingerprint.
- If there is dirt on the Home button, you should clean it with a circular motion around the edge of the Home button.
- Then again do it in reverse to clean your iPhone’s Home button.
Check – Screen Guard or Case does not Cover the Touch ID Button
- You need to ensure that the screen protector or case does not cover up the Home button of your iPhone.
- If the screen protector or case covers the Home button, it causes errors with Touch ID authentication.
Read More: Best Wireless Bluetooth Headphones for iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
Place Complete Fingers on Home Button
- It is necessary that you should place your complete finger on the Home button of your iPhone.
- You should not place a little portion of your finger and ensure that it touches the surrounding metal ring.
- You also ensure not to take your finger too quickly or move your finger around.
Delete And Re-register Your Touch ID Fingerprints on iPhone
Follow the given below steps:
- You need to open the Settings app.
- Then scroll down and click on Touch ID & Passcode.
- Then you need to enter your Passcode.
- Then click the fingerprint under the Fingerprints section and then click on Delete Fingerprint.
- When all the fingerprints deleted, you need to hard reset your device.
- You need to press and release the volume down button and then press and release the volume up button.
- Then press and hold the side button when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- When your iPhone restarts, you need to go back to the Touch ID & Passcode section and click on Add a Fingerprint.
- Then you can set up a new fingerprint. You should ensure that you follow the on-screen instructions to register the Touch ID Fingerprints on iPhone.
Check if the Touch ID feature enables
You ensure that the Touch ID feature is also turn on or activates on your phone. Follow the given below steps to check and ensure that the touch ID is enabled on your iPhone 8 Plus:
- You need to open the Settings from the Home screen.
- Then click on Touch ID & Passcode.
- Then you need to look and make sure that the iPhone Unlock and iTunes & App Store options are enabled.
- If these options are already enabled then turn them off for a few seconds and then on again.
Reboot your iPhone 8 Plus
If the Touch ID is not working, you can do a soft reset or reboot your iPhone 8 Plus. This method also clear minor glitches and does not affect any data, apps, settings, and personal information that you stores on the internal memory. Follow the given below steps to do a soft reset on the iPhone:
- You need to press and hold the Side/Power button until you can view the Slide to Power Off command.
- Then drag the slider to the right to turn your iPhone off fully.
- Then after 30 seconds, you need to press and hold the Power button until you view the Apple logo and then release it.
Read also: iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Reboot Randomly: How To Fix This Issue
Reset all settings on your iPhone 8 Plus
Invalid system settings on the iPhone can also cause the error. There may be some invalid changes that make the Touch ID does not work on iPhone 8 plus. Follow the given below steps:
- You need to open the Settings from the Home screen and then click on the General tab.
- Then scroll down to click on the Reset.
- You need to choose to reset All Settings from the available options.
- You need to type in your passcode to continue if prompts.
- Then click the option to confirm all settings reset.
- When your device reset and reboot by itself, you can set up and re-enable options accordingly on your phone.
Factory reset your iPhone 8 Plus
You can do a factory reset on your iPhone 8 plus if the Touch ID is not working. But this method deletes all your data from your iPhone including any errors and tough bugs that may cause the error. It is necessary that you must keep a back up of all your important data. Follow the given below steps to factory reset your iPhone 8 Plus:
- You need to open the Settings and then click on the General tab.
- Then scroll down to click Reset.
- Then you need to choose to Erase All Content and Settings.
- You need to type in your passcode to continue if prompts.
- Then click the option to confirm reset.
- Then your iPhone reboots when the reset completes.
- Then you can perform the initial setup process and also need to set up Touch ID and enroll fingerprints again.
Restore your iPhone 8 Plus in iTunes
If a factory reset does not fix the issue of Touch ID which is not working on your iPhone, you can perform an iOS restore through iTunes. This method removes your device and restores the system from a previous iOS backup and then set it up as new. It is essential to have a back up all your important data and files. Follow the given below steps:
- You need to plug your iPhone to your computer through a USB cable or Lightning cable.
- Then press and release the Volume Up button and then quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Then press and hold the Side/Power button until your phone enters recovery mode.
- Then release the Side/Power button only when it shows Connect to iTunes screen.
- You need to go to the iTunes on your computer and you can view a message says that ‘There is a problem with the iPhone that needs it to be updated or restored’.
- You need to choose the option to Restore.
- Then the iTunes attempt to reinstall iOS and then download the software for your iPhone.
- When the iOS restore process completes, reboot your iPhone and do the initial setup process.
- When the iOS restores, you need to set up Touch ID and then register your fingerprints.
If You Cannot Activate Touch ID
If the Touch ID does not activate, you receive an error that says ‘Unable to complete the Touch ID setup’. In this case, you can reboot your device and also perform any other method from the above-mentioned methods such as updating iOS and resetting the network settings. But still, you can also perform some additional steps as mentioned below:
Unplug your device
- You can fix this issue by removing your iPhone from power or from the computer’s USB port.
Turn off your passcode through Turn Passcode Off in the Touch ID & Passcode area of the settings
- When you do not enable the passcode, your device can easily perform a soft reset of the security settings.
- You need to enable the passcode again to use the Touch ID.
Log out of your Apple ID and then sign back in
- You need to open the Settings then click your name at the top.
- Then select Log Out at the bottom and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Then sign in back when this option is available.
You can fix the issue of Touch ID not working on iPhone 8 plus from the above-mentioned methods. All these methods are very simple and easy to perform. If Touch ID is still not working on your iPhone 8 Plus after performing all the above-mentioned methods, you may contact your carrier or Apple Support for further recommendations.