RAR means Roshal Archive Compressed file which is a very common file format on Mac. It is a collection of bundled up files compressed into one file because it makes the file smaller and easier to send. If you download .rar files from the web, you need to unzip the bundle to extract the files. Basically, it is very similar to ZIP files as zipping is also a data container. You need to download the software on Mac to open the RAR file but with zip files, there is already a tool to unzip compressed Zip files.
How to extract RAR files on Mac OS?
If there is a way to open .rar files on your Mac without downloading software then you can be able to use a built-in utility on your Mac to open RAR files. But this feature is not available on Mac and you have to download an app such as Unarchiver to open .rar files. The Unarchiver is the most popular app to open and extract .rar files.
Use the Unarchiver to open .rar files
The Unarchiver app is free and easy to use as it unarchives all types of different files that include .rar format. You need to download the Unarchiver from the Mac App Store or from the website. If you want to open .rar files then using Unarchiver would be the best option and once you downloaded this app, it will be part of your Mac utilities.
Follow the below steps to download and install The Unarchiver from the Mac App Store:
- You need to open the Unarchiver on the Mac App Store.
- Then click get and enter your Apple ID password.
- You can drag the Unarchiver app to your Applications folder.
- When you initially open the app, you may receive a security warning, click Open.
Follow the below steps to Unarchive .rar files using The Unarchiver:
- You need to open The Unarchiver from your Applications.
- Then from the menu bar, you need to go to File and then Unarchive to.
- Then select your .rar file and click Unarchive.
- Then find the location you want your unarchived files to save to and then click Extract.
If you do not find a location to save the unarchived files, it drags and drops your .rar file onto The Unarchiver’s icon in the Dock and it extracts files to the default location.
You can make The Unarchiver as your default application for .rar files: Follow the below steps:
- You need to find a .rar file in Finder on your Mac.
- Then Control-click the file and select Get Information.
- Then open the Open with a drop-down menu.
- Then find and select The Unarchiver.
- After that click Change All to make The Unarchiver as your default app for .rar files.
It also supports iOS
The Unarchiver also provides a companion app called Archives which is available on the App Store for iDevices. This iOS app allows you to open ZIP or RAR files on your iPhone.
Open and extracting .rar files are a very simple and easy process as mentioned above. All you need to download The Unarchiver app for free and you can easily open and extract .rar files on macOS.