Family Sharing enables you to share iTunes, Apple Books, and App Store purchases and an iCloud storage plan for up to six family members. They can share all without sharing each other’s accounts.
It contains set permissions remotely with Screen Time, the ability to change an Apple ID for kids, and approve spending and downloads from a parent’s device.
The family members can also share a photo album and even help to locate each other missing devices. Family Sharing also makes it easier for you to track all the devices in your family with the help of Find My iPhone.
The members of your family group can share locations and help other family members to find missing devices. You can start sharing your location with the rest of the family automatically with Family Sharing. You can also temporarily stop sharing your location by turning off Share My Location in the Find My app.
Any family member can help to locate another member’s missing device with Family Sharing and Find My Device.
The devices of members appear in the single list in the Find My app and on iCloud.com. Therefore, it is easy to track down missing or stolen devices like iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or Mac.
Set Up Family Sharing
If you want to use Family Sharing with Find My iPhone, you need to set up the Family Group first. Follow the below steps:
- You need to launch Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Then tap on your iCloud account banner at the top with your name.
- Then tap on Family Sharing.
- You need to choose the first feature that you want to share with your family. In this case, it can be Location Sharing.
- You need to select Invite Family Member and then send an invitation through iMessage, in person or create a new child account.
- The users of iOS 10 or earlier need to tap on getting started. Then you need to follow the on-screen instructions to invite family members.
- The users of iOS 11 and later also have the option to invite someone in person.
- You can repeat this procedure of inviting a family member for up to six people.
Family Sharing allows you to decide whether or not you share your location with your family. For this, follow the below steps:
- You need to tap Settings and enter your name.
- If you use iOS 11, you need to tap Settings then your name and then iCloud.
- Then tap Share My Location.
- Then tap family member name to share with that person.
- If you want to stop sharing your location, you can turn off Share My Location. It hides your location from all of your family members and your approved friends.
- When you want to share your location again, you can turn it back on at any time.
The device that you used to sign in to Family Sharing is the one that shares your location by default. If you want to share your location from a different device, follow the below steps:
- You need to tap Settings and your name.
- Then tap Family Sharing and then Location Sharing.
- Then tap Share My Location.
- You need to select the device that you want to share.
One Can Track An iPhone Or IPad With Find My iPhone And Family Sharing:
You need to have the Find My iPhone app installed in order to track devices in your Family Sharing group. If you do not have it, you can download it for free from the App Store. All devices should also be running iOS 8 or higher and support Family Sharing.
It is necessary that everyone’s devices must have granted Find My iPhone access to be tracked.
You can do this by following the below instructions on each iPhone and iPad:
- You need to go to Settings from your Home screen.
- Firstly tap your Apple ID banner at the top.
- Then tap iCloud and then tap on Find My iPhone.
- Then tap the switch next to Find My iPhone to turn it on.
- You can repeat the above procedure with every iPhone and iPad to show up in Find My iPhone through Family Sharing.
You Can Track A Family Member’s Device With Find My iPhone
Follow the below steps:
- You need to launch the Find My iPhone app from your Home screen.
- Sign into your individual iCloud account.
- Then tap on any device in order to receive more information and track it.
- Then tap Play Sound if the person is not sharing their location. Their iPhone makes a high beeping sound. You can also click to lock the device or erase it.
Location Sharing And Find My iPhone
If you are added to Family Sharing and choose to share your location with family members, they can find and secure a missing device for you. If you turn on Find My iPhone on the missing device, a family member can assist you:
- One can see the location and online or offline status of your device.
- They play a sound on your missing device to help you find it.
- They put your device in Lost Mode if it is already set up with a passcode.
- If you do not share your location, family members cannot access location information about your devices.
- But without location information, family members can still help you. They can check the:
- online or offline status of the missing device
- play a sound on the device
- put the device in Lost Mode
Invite People To Join Your Group
Follow the below steps:
- You need to go to Settings then iCloud then Family and then Add Family Member.
- You need your family member’s name and the email address associated with their Apple ID in order to add them to your account. Even children need an Apple ID to be added. But children under the age of 13 cannot create one on their own. The family organizer needs to provide verified parental consent. When the organizer creates the ID for his or her child, it is automatically added to the family group.
- You can also check the status of an invitation. You need to go to Settings then iCloud and then Family and looking at the status under the name of the person.
The members in a Family Sharing group can also keep track of each other’s locations through the Find My Friends or Messaging apps.
The Find My Friends app displays the location of all family members on a map and gives details on their current city and distance. If a family member’s Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost and needs to be tracked down, other users in the group can check the device in the Find My iPhone app.
When a device is selected, members can choose to play a loud sound on the device, enable Lost Mode to lock the device or choose to erase the entire device.